Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Radio Shack Doesn't Get It (or doesn't want to)

Okay, brief story. A few weeks ago, I ordered a new computer power supply from Radio Shack online, and had it shipped to the local store. I never got a notification that it was ready for pickup, but saw from UPS tracking that it had been delivered, so I stopped by. The employee found an empty box with my name on it, but no sign of the power supply. After about 20 minutes of searching cabinets, drawers, etc., he found it...on one of the retail shelves, wedged in among the CD-ROMs. Some employee had opened my box and shelved the contents...never mind that the store didn't even carry power supplies! In looking at the empty shipping box, I saw that it had been sent to my attention, c/o the store--nothing to indicate it was a customer order.

So, I thought I'd be helpful, and sent an email to Radio Shack, with details of the situation and a few suggestions about how to improve their processes. No response. After about three weeks, I got an email from them, obviously a form email, not addressing the actual issue, but saying I should talk with the manager of the store. Yes, that's right, it's my responsibility to spend more of my time telling the manager about this process he has no power to change, when I just told you.

To recap, then:
  • Radio Shack has online ordering with delivery to a store, but doesn't notify customers when the order arrives
  • The box doesn't distinguish customer orders from other stock being delivered
  • Employees can open the customer's box and put the order on their shelves for anyone to buy, even if the store doesn't actually carry that item
  • Their customer service waits three weeks to tell you they don't care.
One of the key tenets of Web 2.0 (and good business, in general) is listening to what customers are telling you. It's obvious that Radio Shack doesn't get it. I can order online from hundreds of places that understand how a modern online ordering, delivery, and customer service system should work. Radio Shack is doomed to fail unless they figure that out.

You can see the email exchange here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You ARE a Fancy Lad! Just look at those pretty flowers you used for bullets! :-)